Cork racecourse

A few miles down the road from Cork racecourse was the scene of the historic race in 1752 which gave the world the phrase 'steeplechasing'. Organised racing in the Mallow region began in 1777. When Cork Park closed in 1917 it left a sporting void in Ireland's largest county, so in 1924 Mallow racecourse was formed and the facilities underwent a £7million refurbishment in 1997.

There is year-round racing under both codes and the course is  round right-handed and level with a 10-furlong inner circuit and  a 12-furlong outer circuit.

Address: Cork Races, Mallow Racecourse, Mallow, Ireland
Tel: 353 225 0207
Admission: (Euros): Adult €18
Road: From Cork or Limerick take N20, Dublin or Waterford take N72 and N73 take town park bypass to reach the roundabout.
Rail: Mallow Station, from Cork, Dublin, Tralee, Killarney
Flat: A right-handed level track 1m 4f round with a 3f straight.
Jumps: A right-handed track with a circuit of about one mile and four furlongs. The jumps course is quite flat and there are eight fences on a circuit, of which three are in the home straight, the first being an open ditch.